]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  May 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L May 1999

Re: Call 660- 4071(MPO) to voice opposition ...

Anne Lusk <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 May 1999 12:11:41 EDT

Dear All,
   Dan Burden's e mail address is [log in to unmask]  I checked and he was
listed in the aol directory so I'm assuming he still uses that e mail.  I
just sent him an e mail so I could buy the Green Book.  I had called the 800
number of the Center for Livable Communities and they faxed me an order form.
 The only thing listed which Dan did was a video.  I need text for the
literature review for my dissertation.
     On the subject of fatigue, I did check with a psychologist but he said
it would be impossible to test for fatigue.
    He wrote:

"Forget about attacking this cause directly, from a scientifically sound
position. Throw lots of advertising money at it. Control truckdrivers - 30
tons
can do much more damage than 1 or 2 - by having them "date-stamp" deliveries
and
penalizing them for getting someplace too early."

     I guess with advertising, people could be encouraged to not drive tired.
 Free coffee is available at rest areas but those usually are really just a
money making operation for a local nonprofit organization. We urge people to
have a "driver" if they drink. Perhaps they should have a "driver" if they
are tired. I'm just leaning on all the associations we now make with drinking
and driving.
    Of course, I'm reminded that I have 13 hours to drive straight through to
Vermont, but I always do it during the daylight, after a good night's sleep
and it is one of the few times I drink coffee.  You should see the amount of
cream and sugar I put in the coffee though?
Anne