LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  May 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L May 1999

Re: [Fwd: State Road Re-Paving]

Jon Kaplan <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 May 1999 14:57:10 +0000

I don't have the state statute citation, but I believe it says
something like shoulders shall be provided in conjunction with
roadway paving unless infeasible or cost prohibitive, or some such
provisionary language.

I have had many conversations with Mike Hedges, VAOT Pavement
Management engineer, about this topic and in fact just attended a
presentation by him on the Pavement Management program.

The bottom line is that his particular program is tasked with getting
as many miles of paving as possible out of a limited amount of
dollars.  They do pave as much shoulder as they can, given an
existing area and suitable sub-base material to do it.  They will not
widen existing shoulders if it means changing ditch lines or
acquiring Right of Way.  A good rule of thumb re: Right of Way is to
assume 3-rods (49.5 feet) and to assume that this is centered over
the roadway centerline, which gives about 25 feet from the centerline
on each side.

I'm not saying that I don't think we should be doing more to get at
least 3-4 foot shoulders that would be bike compatible, but Mike's
hands are somewhat tied by the limits of his program and limited
funds with much more need than available funding.

Mike is very open to talking about this issue and they will come to
your TAC meeting if requested to do so.

Good Luck.

Jon, Anne and Jacob

email address:  [log in to unmask]