]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  May 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L May 1999

[Fwd: Please Sign Your Group On To FEAT!]

"Peter K. Duval" <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 May 1999 21:48:19 -0400

This proposal from Tooker Gomberg and Angela Bischoff may provide some additional
material for the fact sheet.

We (vbpc) should also consider endorsing this proposal and use it to raise the
issue of motorized tourist traffic (from Canada) and the impact it has on
quality-of-life, walkability and cyclability in Vermont.

The issue of tourism traffic is a current hot topic for the Lake Champlain
Bikeways Steering Committee as it deals with the Lake Champlain Scenic Byways
project, a study/proposal/committee that coordinates the designation of federally
recognized "Scenic Byways" (different from VT "Scenic Road" designation) .  Scenic
Byway Designation is typically geared toward promoting car and bus touring.
Representing VBPC on the Steering Committee, I have argued to put strong warnings
about Scenic Byway Designation in the forthcoming Byways handbooks and studies.  I
have also argued for a performance standard that any Designation must result in
reduced traffic and  improvements in cyclability, walkability, and scenery
preservation *over and above* all other measures that would be taken to improve
these qualities.  Failing to attain the standard, the Scenic Byway Designation
would be removed.

This performance standard proposal really smokes out the bureaucrats and corporate
welfare types whose revealed motivation is for easy highway money and tourism
promotion -- not scenery preservation.

Please take a look at this piece from Canada and consider how we might appeal for
reductions in automobile, truck, and bus traffic from up North.  Perhaps there's a
bike/ped angle we can take for restoring the Montrealer.

-Peter

--
Peter K. Duval                         +1 802 899 1132
98 Sleepy Hollow Road                   fax:  899 2430