Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  June 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L June 1999

Re: TLCNet: Replace a Traffic with a Roundabout and Save 200,000 Gallons GasYearly

"Peter K. Duval" <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:54:43 -0400

I disagree with Todd Litman's item 3. Properly designed true modern roundabouts
are bike&ped friendly, and universally safer than traffic signals. It is the VT
Bike/Ped Coalition's policy to support installation of true modern roundabouts.
(http://www.together.net/~vgr/vtbpc/rights.htm#Policy)

I do find that traffic engineers, and some transportation planners (Tony
Redington), are too quick to accept multi-lane roundabouts in their zeal to
demonstrate how much more traffic can be processed through roundabouts than
signalized intersections. Multi-lane roundabouts lose some of the elegance and
human-scale of single laners. Let the cars queue!

I reviewed the source for the "traffic circles are terrors" quote
(http://pti.nw.dc.us/task_forces/transportation/docs/trafcalm/BICYCL.HTM) and
found the site to have an uneven sophistication about modern traffic concepts.
The PTI site does not distinguish between high-speed, merging traffic circles,
Seattle-style "traffic circles", Australian versus British roundabouts, normal or
mini-roundabouts. Other pages at the site confuse bumps and humps while being
ignorant of cushions, H-shaped humps and other vertical variants.

 I think the quote cannot be fairly considered to refer to true modern
roundabouts. Even if it is aimed at roundabouts, it should be grouped with lame
protestations like "Americans are too dumb to figure out how to drive through a
roundabout," or "roundabouts don't work in the winter."

Despite my warning to consider induced or "generated" traffic from roundabouts, I
believe Tony should receive high commendations for pushing roundabouts. A
carefully crafted, single-lane, modern roundabout is the closest approximation of
a silver bullet for reducing pollution, reducing wear & tear, reducing crash
casualty, and improving walkability, bikability and livability.

-Peter Duval

--
Peter K. Duval +1 802 899 1132
98 Sleepy Hollow Road fax: 899 2430