Re: Fw: July 14th Meeting

Rich Warren <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:57:57 -0400

Date sent:              Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:05:00 -0400
Send reply to:          Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion
From:                   "Diane E. Gayer" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: [VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L] Fw: July 14th Meeting
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Is anyone concerned about all this extra paving and what it will do to the
> speed of the vehicles?
I'd rather have cars go by me (on my bicycle) successfully at 70,
than have them not go by me at 50 mph.  By the way, whatever happened
to police radar and the old fashioned traffic ticket???

 as well as cutting further into the landscape and
> streetscape?
Most of this stretch of road goes across fairly level fields.  Just
another foot or two, wouldn't be that significant.

 why aren't we advocating sharing the road?
The idea of sharing the road all sounds great, but people are all
different and have different levels of tolerance to fear.  I
personally don't feel comfortable riding in the so called right car
"tire wipe."  Cyclists are going to ride where they feel comfortable.
 If they feel most comfortable riding all the way to the right as far
as they can, then that is where they are going to ride.  The Green
Mountain Bicycle Club advocates their participants in their Thursday
night time trial races to ride close to the white line.  (Scroll down
near the bottom of this page:
http://www-gmbc.together.com/TIMETRIA.HTM)  Just as people who drive
with their left foot continuously on the brake with their right foot
used for the throttle are not going to change their way of doing
things, even though some people say it can be a hazard if the driver
should attempt an extreme panic stop by using both feet (one foot on
the gas and one on the brake).

am I missing
> something here?
I'm not sure, but safety is an important issue, just as asthetics and
scenic beauty are.

where are the trees going to go?

If you take a look down there you will note that it is mostly open
farm country and where there are trees, there is room for another
foot or two of shoulder without having to remove any trees.

Will there be painted
> edges finally defining the roadway?
The state always puts down the so called "fog line" on all of their
state highways.

 Adding pavement to the shoulders if
> they aren't maintained is no better than what we have now.  I see this as
> a long-term maintainance commitment that paving isn't going to solve, but
> that ironically is easier to fund as a one-time project than a long term
> maintenance is.

You are absolutely right; the state makes less effort to maintain the
shoulders than the traveled lanes, while the left hand (of the state)
is telling us that shoulders are so expensive to expand in width.  If
that is the case, then you would think they could spend a just a
small bit more money on crack filling on the shoulders.  Does it cost
that much to run a few more feet of hot crack filler into the
shoulder cracks while they are filling the cracks in the traveled
lanes?

Rich Warren