LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  July 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L July 1999

Re: July 14th Meeting

Rick Good <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:53:40 -0400

Anne -

I'm glad you were impressed with my account of the road paving projects.

I have actually taken pictures of the Route 116 project so that I could
present
both *before* and *after* pictures to the Transporation Committees.

AOT actually has video of all of these roads and provided *selected*
*before*
and *after* pictures to those of us on the trip. (My approach was to
take
pictures evey 1/2 miles on Route 116 so that I would not be biased in my

presentation - since I really do want to be fair to AOT.)

The difficulty I see is obtaining the information from AOT as to what
they
actually plan. For Route 116 - which is only a 12 mile project - I
obtained a
32 page preliminary report (Dec. 9, 1997) from AOT at the Road Paving
Tour.
This report provides the information on the shoulder width for the
entire
project, so that we could see where they are not providing adequate
shoulders.
But one problem is that it seems that what AOT gave me on the June 10,
1999
Road Paving Tour (which stated shoulders would be at least 2') is not
what the
engineers who were working on the project *that day* had (which seems to

state
that some shoulders would not exist at all). Thus I am not sure where
one would
go to obtain the information needed to determine whether AOT is
following their
own guidelines.

Part of me says we should be able to obtain the information we need, but
AOT seems to not be able to provide it - which is very scary in and of
itself. If AOT cannot provide accurate up-to-date information on their
own projects then I'm not sure where to turn next.

At any rate I strongly agree that we need to do something and will
gladly listen to any and all suggestions. rick

--
Rick Good                  Shiesl Corporation

The Earth does not Belong to Us -
We Belong to the Earth!