Fw: July 14th Meeting

George Plumb <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:18:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Good <[log in to unmask]>
To: George Plumb <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Amy Bell <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: July 14th Meeting

George -

Here is the report of the Road Repaving Tour. Please feel free to print
it out for those attending the meeting and/or forward it on to
interested parties. rick

Summary of Road Paving Tour

The road paving tour took place on Thursday, June 10th. Attending the
tour were about 17 people in all (6-7 House Members, 4-5 Agency of
Transporation Members, 2-3 Regional Planning people, and myself.) It was
an all day affair. The reason for the event was that legislation has
been introduced by Rep. Karen Kitzmiller to change the actual
legislation/law that contains the reference to paving of shoulders is
contained in Vermont State Statute 19 V.S.A. Section 2310.

"Pavement of Highway Shoulders"

Section 2310 reads:

"a) It is the policy of the state to provide paved shoulders on major
state highways with the intent to develop an integrated system. This
shall not apply to the interstate highway and certain other limited
access highways"

"b) Any construction, or reconstruction, including upgrading and
resurfacing projects on these highways shall include paved shoulders
unless the agency of transportation deems certain sections to be cost
prohibitive."

Representative Kitzmiller submitted revised wording for subsection b
which is contained in H. 211. The proposed changes to subsection b are
as follows:

"b) Any construction, or reconstruction, including upgrading and
resurfacing projects on these highways shall include durable paved
shoulders. Resurfacing projects should optimize shoulder widths unless
the agency determines that it is impractical to do so because of adverse
impacts on natural or cultureal resources, the need to acquire
additional right-of-ways, or significant increases in construction
costs."

The revised language(H. 211) was not acted upon during the recently
completed legislative session. However, the House Transportation
Committee will be looking into the issue in greater detail over the
summer and will continue discussions in the Committee in the fall. The
tour was to give the House Transportation Committee a better
understanding of what the Vermont Agency of Transporation (AOT) was
doing in regards to shoulder during repaving projects.

The tour started out well with the AOT explaining where they were
putting in new shoulders and pointing out situations where they were
not. The situations pointed out were where wetlands or slag existed. It
was also pointed out that an environment analysis is conducted for each
repaving project that takes into consideration such factors as: air
quality, noise, water quality, wetlands, threatened and endangered
species and habitat, agricultural land, hazardous/residual waste
liabilities, historical or archaeological resources, right of way,
social and economic concerns, and aesthetic concerns.

Lastly it was pointed out that the present Vermont State Standards for
Roadway Reconstruction Projects there are several widths for both the
roads and shoulders. For example Rural Principal Arterial roads (I
assume Route 7) where the speed limit is 50 mph and Average Daily
Traffic (ADT) is less than 2000 the width for cars should be 11 feet and
the shoulder should be 6 feet, unless the Daily Heavy Vehicles (DHV),
i.e. the number of vehicles during the heaviest usage of the day, is
between 200-400 then the shoulder should be 8 feet ? and if the DHV is
greater than 400 the width for cars should be 12 feet and the shoulder
should be 8 feet.

A second example would be Rural Minor Arterial roads where the speed
limit is 50 mph the width for cars should be 11 feet and the shoulder
should be 4 feet, unless the DHV is greater than 400 the width the
shoulder should be 5 feet.

A possible problem with the Road Paving Tour is that AOT picked the
route and I have not yet been able to determine whether the sample roads
were to designed to show AOT at itís best or are what AOT is doing
normally. The reason for this doubt is that AOT this summer is repaving
Route 116 from Bristol south to East Middlebury. This is a Rural Minor
Arterial and should thus have 4 foot shoulders according to AOT
recommendations - and what we were told on the Road Paving Tour. Whatís
happening is that Route 116 is getting 2 foot shoulders and at some
places 0 (zero) foot shoulders.

I have been provided with the AOT environmental analysis, the recource
checklist, the historical and archeological determinations, etc. for
Route 116 and have yet to find any reason why Route 116 is not being
provided with 4 foot shoulders.

Furthermore, I have yet to determine whether Route 116 in the norm and
the roads AOT showed on the Road Paving Tour the exceptions ? or whether
Route 116 is the exception. Thus I cannot inform the Vermont Bicycle and
Pedestrian Coalition whether the trip was useful or a sham.

(I should say that I have been invited to a meeting on July 21st at the
Route 116 site with Rep. Kitzmiller, members of AOT, and Addison County
Regional Planning to discuss the situation with Route 116. But this
meeting will not address the larger question as to what AOT is doing
with other roads.)

Based on the above I am unsure of what guidance I can provide to the
Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition. Not all members of the House
Transportation Committee were able to attend the Road Paving Tour and
thus there was some discussion about having a second Road Paving Tour.

A suggestion (can I make a motion if I cannot attend the meeting) would
be for the Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition to suggest to the
chairperson of the House Transportation Committee that if a second Road
Paving Tour takes place that the Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian
Coalition determine the routing.

I should state that if the above motion is decided upon then it will be
necessary for us to review the present (and possibly a few years past)
repaving projects to determine a route which we believe to be fair
representation of what AOT is (and has been) doing.

Respectfully submitted, rick

--
Rick Good                  Shiesl Corporation

The Earth does not Belong to Us -
We Belong to the Earth!