]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  July 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L July 1999

Re: Fw: advocates: wykle -- pedaling into the 21st century (fwd)

"Peter K. Duval" <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:39:48 -0400

I take heart in Wykle's single sentence at the end of  paragraph quoted below.
The exclusion of bikes and pedestrians from the limited-use highways in Vermont
is for the most part unnecessary.  It should be left to the cyclist/pedestrian
to determine safe use of a highway, where the cyclist/pedestrian use of the
highway does not threaten the safety of other users (If we rank modes by their
relative threat, it's clear that cyclists and peds are not threats to other
modes, and we need only consider the bike/ped conflict in crowded pedways such
as Church Street, Burlington.).

It has been, and should continue to be, the VBPC's role to advocate for
bike/ped access to Interstates and limited-use highways -- not so much for the
joy of riding these monstrocities, but more for the strategic value of
challenging the "forgiving highway" way-of-thinking.  For too long, we have
accepted without question the Highway Engineer's fundamental proposition that
straight+fast+wide=safe.  Of course, this is self-serving rubbish.  The
empirical research has shown that highway building increases our exposure to
high risk situations (increased speed and traffic volume)

By arguing for access to the interstates and limited-use highways, we compel
AOT to articulate its broken theory on traffic safety.  This is instructive for
cycling advocates as well as highway engineers.  Current traffic safety is
matter of psychology more than public works construction.  As the highway
engineers contradict themselves in trying to defend stale standards based on
highway geometry, we can recognize the political genius of Forester's vehicular
cycling principles and evolve a state-of-the-art approach based on the
psychology of the driver/rider/walker experience.

-Peter

George Plumb wrote:

> Thought you would be interested in this via Bunky.  The only affirmative
> response I have received for tomorrow's trip is from Bud and Kathy.  Anyone
> else going?
>
> George

Peter K. Duval                         +1 802 899 1132
98 Sleepy Hollow Road                   fax:  899 2430
Essex Junction, VT 05452-2798      [log in to unmask]
USA                            www.emba.uvm.edu/~duval