LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  September 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L September 1999

Re: Bike safety

Dale Critchlow <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:48:49 -0400

Justin: You are right on in your comments below! Definitely, cyclists need
at least the rights of the manure spreader which you mention.

The rights and responibilities of drivers (including farm tractor
operators) with respect to other vehicles is already well defined including
penalities for not obeying the laws. The problem in VT is that the bicycle
is not classifed as a vehicle and doesn't have these rights and protections.

As I understand the battle for cycling rights over the last 30 years, the
goal is to get the bicycle classified in the law as a vehicle.  Then the
law enforcement would have the means to penalize law breakers. In addition,
it would be much easier to educate the general public about the rights of
cyclists if the rights were well defined.

As long as a bicycle is considered to be a child's toy, as you noted, it is
very difficult to establish rights, penalties, etc. Vermont is in the dark
ages in this area.

Dale Critchlow