LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Archives


VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Archives


VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L@LIST.UVM.EDU


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  October 1999

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L October 1999

Subject:

Meeting Notes 10-19-99

From:

Haas/Davidow <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:17:04 -0400

Content-Type:

multipart/mixed

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (89 lines) , VBPC Notes 10-19-99.wps (89 lines)

Meeting Notes
 VERMONT BICYCLE/PEDESTRIAN COALITION
Montpelier, Tuesday, Oct 19, 1999
Attending: George Plumb,Tony Redington,Amy Bell, Kevin Besset,Dave
Jacobowitz,Rich Warren,Bunky Bernstein,Art Gwodz,Dale Crictlow,Bruce
Cunningham,Barry Driscoll,Len Lemoureux,Kathy Davidow,Bud Haas
Meeting Called to Order by Chair, George Plumb
Meeting Notes for Sept 7, 1999: Approved.
Report of the Chair: George reported his attending Maine’s Common Ground
Fair and meeting with Jeff Miller, Executive Director of the Bicycle
Coalition of Maine (BCM). George passed around samples of BCM’s
newsletter,, annual report, membership brochure and hazard ID card. George
suggested inviting Jeff Miller to make a presentation to a VBPC meeting,
soon.
Treasurer’s Report: Approximate balance in acct $527. Dave will post a
report to the BikePed List.
Legislation Committee: David Jacobowitz, reported on that Karen Kitzmiller
has asked for reports of roads and road situations needing State attention,
and that the two specific bicycle related bills are “resting “ in the
legislature awaiting action.
VAOT BikePed Coordinator Report: Amy passed out a list of the latest
BikePed Project Awards, and reported that VAOT has contracted with the
“National Center for Biking and Walking” to help complete a BikePed
Facility Design Manual, which would “combine what’s out there” to help
develop Vermont Standards. The process is expected to take two years, and
will involve an engineering sub (Greenman-Peterson), a VOAT Steering
Committee (which will include VAOT, RPC, and VBPC slots (there are currently
four open slots).
Town Contacts Report: Bunky: No Report.

New Business:
1. Short discussion of the VT Bike Ped Plan.
2. Short discussion of TV and Radio Public Service Announcements.
3. Kevin Bessett reported that some members of the GMBC are going to
suggest that their Annual Meeting take action in response to the recent
number of motorists striking cyclists. He suggested that they might do some
education work, producing tee shirts, signs or bumper stickers promoting a
“share the road” safety campaign. Discussion followed about the VBPC
participation and the use of VPBC funds for these efforts. There was a
general consensus that the BBPC supports their efforts. It was noted that
TEA-21 money can be used for BikePed safety, and that the VBPC and BMBC
could take steps to be able to apply for use of some of that money. (VBPC
would have to ask the GC to be the grantee, or obtain its own IRS 501-c-3
designation.
4. Kevin also reported that some GMBC members intend to write the Governor
about the rash of motorists striking cyclists. The consensus of the VBPC
was to support the letter and to cosign the letter if the GMBC wishes.
5. The VBPC agreed to host the BCM Exec. Dir. Jeff Miller for a
presentation to a meeting in late Nov.- early Dec. George will arrange.
6. Shoulders: Their was a consensus that the VBPC should bring to closure
to this topic. There was a consensus of those attending on the following:
                                     October 1999 VBPC Road Shoulder
Statement
     a. The VBPC supports the Road Shoulder policies expressed in the VT
BikePed Plan.
     b. The VBPC asks the VAOT to gather ASAP the following information on
an annual basis:
         1. The number of miles of road shoulder width increased from
paving projects.
         2. The number of miles of road shoulder width increased by
decreasing (narrowing) the travel lane.
         3. The number of miles of road shoulder width lost to guard rail
encroachment.
     c. The VBPC supports the need for shoulder widening on high volume,
high speed roads where appropriate.
     d. The VBPC is concerned about the dangerous conditions created by the
installation of guard rails where they reduce the usage area of a paved
shoulder.
     e. The VBPC believes that wider roads increase motorist speeds.
After coming to this consensus, the VBPC agreed that it is now time to move
on to its priority concern of safety education and training of motorists and
cyclists.
Next Meetings: Meeting with the BCM Exec. Dir. Jeff Miller. Date, time and
place TBA.
                            Next VBPC business meeting Jan 11, in Waterbury.
Time and place TBA.
Persons interested in BBPC stuff (and these meeting notes) should sign on to
the BikePed List. Here’s how:
To join the vtbikepedpolicy-l list, send e-mail
to: [log in to unmask] and put the subscribe command as the first line of
your message along with the list name and your first and last name. For
example: sub vtbikepedpolicy-l Joan A. R. Person
Meeting notes by,
Bud Haas




Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

August 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
May 2012
March 2012
January 2012
March 2011
February 2011
October 2010
September 2010
July 2010
April 2010
March 2010
December 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
October 2008
May 2008
March 2008
February 2008
December 2007
September 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
June 2006
May 2006
December 2005
November 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999
August 1999
July 1999
June 1999
May 1999
April 1999
March 1999
February 1999

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LIST.UVM.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager