FW: : more on tracking

Jim Abrams <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:00:54 -0500

Jim Abrams
Director of Mathematics Education
Vermont Institute for Science, Math and Technology
7 West Street
Montpelier, Vt   05602
Ph: (802) 828-0069

----------
From: [log in to unmask] (Barb Unger)
To: Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: : more on tracking
Date: Tue, Nov 16, 1999, 8:51 PM

------------------
Dear Fred,
        I read your note to Sue Abrams and I would like to respond.  I teach
heterogeneously grouped classes and I also feel that they don't work for
everyone.  I have students that are on the 3rd grade level with students
that are ready to take algebra in my 7th and 8th grade classes.  I believe
that this is too large of a range and the teacher will have difficulty
meeting everyone's needs.  I know Sue and believe me "content background" is
not the problem.  Some students do better in smaller classes that have a
slower pace.  I personally think that giving these students this extra
attention and time is more equitable than placing them in a classroom that
is too much above their level.  A teacher can broaden the range of his/her
content but not to the extent that they have been asked to do.  I also feel
that most of these students like these classes.  I spoke with a teacher in
Clarendon last week, he teaches a small lower ability group and he was
thrilled when one student told him how he loved math this year.  He finally
felt some measure of success.  Barbara Unger