Print

Print


Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition

Minutes:

Present: George Plumb, Jan McCleery, Rich Warren, Dale Critchlow, Bunky
Bernstein, Amy Bell

Call to Order: 5:50 PM Montpelier City Hall

Minutes approved 5-0

President's Report:  George has had a busy time since the last meeting,
sending out the first VBPC mailing ever to all members, having bumper
stickers
printed at New England Label @$400/1000 (or 2000?)., producing the Share
the
Road PSA in cooperation with the Bicycle Coalition of Maine ($400, paid by
the
Governors' Council of Physical Fitness and Sports), and finally attending
a
meeting with Chapin Spencer and Brian Costello (Burlington Bikeways), Lou
Bresee (Lake Champlain Bikeways), Ben Haydock (GMBC), and a representative
from
Vt. Mtn. Bike Assoc., and David Jacobowitz to explore a way for all groups
to
work together under one advocacy umbrella group, presumably the
VBPC.  George
also announced the New England Bicycle Advocacy Conference 10/28, in
Hartford,
CT.

Treasurer's Report: In the absence of the treasurer, George reported we
have
more members than ever--51.

Old Business:
        1. 501-C3 Goerge has the paperwork and will fill it out.
        2. Share the Road distribution: 11,000 have been printed and
distributed. Dale presented a summary. We will discuss another
distribution
next Spring.  Amy volunteered that AOT can print 2000 more as a final
contribution.
        3. Brochure for Motorists: George will contact Rich Good
re: Designing
this based on the Maine brochure. There was some discussion questioning
the
utility of this brochure, however.

Amy Bell's report: Amy has been busy attending conferences around the
state
and also the Pro Bike/Pro Walk conference in Philadelphia, a meeting of
600
advocates with workshops on advocacy and design, among others. 8
Vermonters
attended, including 3 from the AOT. Amy announced there will be an
assistant
Bike-Ped coordinator at AOT, possibly as early as 11/1/00. The job will
include
public education, outreach, safety, mapping, and project oversight. Amy
announced that Vermont has spent all its TEA21 funds, one of the only 10
states
to do so. Plus $6M in state highway funds were earmarked for enhancements.
Finally, Amy applied, but was turned down for a $40K grant to study
bicycle and
pedestrian accidents statewide. She suggested the Coalition lobby the dept
of
Public Safety by the next deadline, 5/01.

New Business:
        1 By unanimous vote, 10 members were elected to the Board of
Directors: Richard Bernstein, Dale Critchlow, Kathy Davidow, Richard Good,
Bud
Haas, David Jacobowitz, Jan McCleery, George Plumb, Tony Redington, and
Richard
Warren, all for a three year term. Richard Bernstein was appointed as a
nominating committee to present a slate of officers at the next meeting.
        2.Rich Warren offered to speak with members of the Killington Bike
Club to seek representation from that part of the state on the Board.
        3. Rich Warren will explore designs to include a bicycle rider on
our
logo and bumper sticker.
        4. We will give out our current bumper stickers around the state
as
opportunities arise.
        5. General information brochure: We decided to put this project on
hold until we define our organization based on meetings with other bicycle
groups.

Next Meeting: Wednesday,  Nov 4, 6:30 pm, place to be
announced.        Tasks
include electing officers and discussing the change of the
coalition's
purpose and structure to a statewide umbrella    organization.

Richard Bernstein

==========
VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L: The Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion List
Subscription control: http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtbikepedpolicy-l.html.
For help: email [log in to unmask] with the word "help" in the message body.