> From: jill wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:10:31 -0500
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [MLMATHNET] New Law No Child Lett Behind
>
> I have heard from admin. in other districts that there is a possibility of
> a regional curriculum in math and wonder what the scoop is with this...we
> are supposed to implement year one of Core Plus next year but do not want
> to spend $ on texts and training if we are all going to be doing something
> different in a year or two...Help!

Jill,

This would be a great big surprise to me.  Middle and high schools have just
finishing investing a lot in new materials, particularly the middle schools.
I can't imagine Boards being asked to reverse that investment so soon.

 I also can't imagine anyone dictating the curriculum from above.  The
Department and the Legislature have been very careful thus far not to even
consider usurping individual schools choice in how they achieve educational
goals.

I for one would bet the rumor was baseless.

Jim Abrams
VISMT