While I will be in Montreal this weekend--hopefully biking the Lachine Canal--and cannot be at the annual meeting, hope these emails help to explain why the roundabout is absolutely neccessary just about everywhere for the benefits of pedestrians and to the slight (no delay, reduced injury severity, etc.) to bicyclists.

Do have two bumper stickers now, a general pro-roundabout sticker ($1.50) and one with a the blue universal roundabout ahead sign with the text "I's Rather b Driving through a Roundabout than Stuck at this Stupid Red Light" which costs $2.50.  Both are post paid and am letting go at cost.  Am also working with a professor Bob White on organizing a New England Area Roundabout Coalition (NEARC).

MAJOR ROUNDABOUT NEWS: PED SAFETY IN FRANCE, CLEARWATER REVIVAL

The two emails below, both dated September 12, provide insight to the
current roundabout revolution, the importance of competent design, and
safety for pedestrians and all users.  Note that French urban modal splits
include 30% pedestrian (1990) versus the US figure of 9%.  French
experience below works out to one ped injury per 267 roundabouts per year
(Vermont, for example, has about 300 signalized intersections all told).
Also, the Clearwater roundabout has up to 6,000 pedestrians a day--no injuries reported to date, I believe.

EMAIL FROM PROFESSOR EUGENE RUSSELL, KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY,
SEPTEMBER 12,  2003

ALL: Since france has 23,000 roundabouts and I know one of Frances' top
designers, i was curious to see how they handle blind and low-vision
pedestrian problems. FYI, here is his answer. gene

>===== Original Message From [log in to unmask] =====
Dear professor Eugene

Problem of blind and low-vision pedestrians seems to be an important problem in USA. In France, blind and low-vision associations
are more interrested by sound signal in trafic-light intersections but
said nothing against roundabout.

Just some statistics :
in 2001, approximately 23000 roundabouts in France
1329 corporal accidents, but only 86 with pedestrians (2 fatal accidents)
Now, it's necessary to put "podotactile" line at all new
pedestrian-crossing.

Do you think that trafic-light industry want to devalue roundabout ?

I never read paper of other countries about this problem.
With kind regards

Bernard GUICHET

CETE Ouest - DSTR

* 02.40.12.85.11