There is an issue of priorities here.   The detail of bicycle and pedestrian policies for safety and promotion- -all tied to a comprehensive approach in urban areas--is finely detailed in explicit and simple to understand English (complete with graphs and tables of safety over time) by John Pucher (his book with Christian Lefebvre, "The Urban Transportation Crisis in Europe North America" is a primer for all forms of transportation--pricy at Amazon, perhaps check McMillan in England).  (Find some of his papers at:
http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/pucher.html).

The first question is how to you cross the street and intersection
safety with no delay and maximum comfort?
Go then to first principles--we must recall the Michael J. Wallwork  priorities for non-motorized traffic (he is "Mr. Roundabout" from Jacksonville).   Yes, primarily, you take care of pedestrians then if context permits, bicycles.

Second, as Prof. Pucher's seminal works clearly indicate, you must have a comprehensive approach to urban (and overall) non-motorized transportation: infrastructure, education and enforcement.  A conscious policy means car free networks of space for walking and biking in urban areas. This is not some fanciful dream but a successful public policy measured and reported by Prof. Pucher in Germany and Holland during the 90s.

My contention is that central to the success in both Germany and Holland--or in any other undertaking aimed at faclitating biking and walking at the same time reducing injuries--is that you cannot accomplish this objective without installing lots of roundabouts.  The French experience--reported in May--of growing from 10,000 to 27,000 roundabouts over 10 years experiencing a 60% reducing in fatality and injury rate absolutely and incontrovertably confirms my hypothesis as does the overall downtrend in U.S. highway safety compared to countries heavily investing in roundabouts during the end of the last century.

Today the Agency of Transportation argues with itself as to whether to put a roundabout at US 7/VT 103 desired by the Town, the Region, and the free $1 million Sen. Jeffords earmark which became available last week. This is not an intersection with a lot of bike/ped activity. But it is a critical battle in our mutual effort to get roundabouts off the grounding Vermont where they are stuck with a generally hostile legislative and AOT administrative atmosphere (Sen. Phill Scott, R- Washington and Rep. Sue Minter, D-Waterbury, being two noteworthy exceptions on our legislative Transportation Committees).

My sense is we should go for a Germany/Holland approach to bike/ped policy and investment in Vermont as one policy thrust--meaning a task force with a report containing the necessary policy initiatives--and, second, flat out support roundabout development everywhere there is a high speed or busy pedestrian environment. A target would be 10-15% of total non-bridge/non- paving construction program roundabout investment or something like 10-20 roundabouts per year with full prioritization of where these will go in each of our regions through the "transportation planning initiative" process where we as citizens and as an organization and have input.

Let's get the Agency of Transportation to stop arguing with itself in regard to roundabouts as well as with bike/ped development.

On 3 Aug 2005 at 9:29, Anne Lusk wrote:

> Which speaks again to the issue, why can't we in the U.S. build the same
> facilities they have in Germany and Holland, namely street parallel cycle tracks
> separated from car traffic. Additionally,in Europe, some sidewalks have become
> bike paths, somestreets made one way for a path, other streets become
> Woonerfs for only residential traffic....the list goes on and I know all of you know
> this list.
>
> These facilities are not in AASHTO and therefore can't bebuilt using federal
> funds. The sidepath on Vassar Street in Cambridge was built using MIT funds
> because itwasn't in AASHTO.
>
> To have a path parallel to the road in the U.S., it has to be separated by 5 feet
> (grass, trees, etc.) or by a 40 inch high solid barrier. The later precludes parallel
> parking besidethe shared-use path because you can't open a door beside a40
> inch high concrete wall.
>
> What will it takefor us to startexploring some of the Europeancycle facilities
> and say, "Yes, we can build these in the U.S."
>
> Anne

Tony Redington
Transportation Policy
Montpelier, VT  05602
802-223-1744
   Northeast Area Roundabout Coalition-VT
========== VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L: The Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Discussion List Subscription control: http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtbikepedpolicy-l.html. For help: email [log in to unmask] with the word "help" in the message body.