Hi Bruce:

Am in general agreement with you--actually, we would be better off just to
replace stop signs with yield signs as that matches behaviors of all users
and likely improves intersection service with no change in safety.   The
Burlington Walk Bike Council is looking at another bike preference,
allowing bicyclists to move through intersections with walkers in an
all-stop "walk" signal phase.  We have an intersection or two with this
status.

The overall key point remains we need along our busy streets to install
cycle track and pathed roundabouts to provide safe and service to all
walkers and bicyclists.  With that admittedly high investment we can begin
to establish walkable and bikable nodes, corridors and areas in our
downtowns and village centers.  My blog yesterday addresses, again, that to
get major investmens in rail, walking and bicycling, we must support the
funding from sources other than car related taxation.

             Tony

--
Tony Redington
Burlington, VT

*WALKABLE, BIKABLE BUSY STREETS FEATURE  SIDEWALKED AND CYCLE TRACKED
SECTIONS WITH ROUNDABOUTS AT KEY INTERSECTIONS*