Hi John:

The question one must ask, are we serious about the necessary "infra" to
allow all to bicycle for all urban trips--an infra pretty much unavailable
here or anywhere in the U.S.

My experience in field checking Vermont towns and cities along with
roadways in general in the past centered on ease and feasibility of
converting busy intersections to roundabouts--found about 90% of our
intersections can be converted with existing or with adding adjacent
unobstructed right-of-way.  (And about 90% of those conversions would be
single laners.)   With traffic generally unchanged or declining in our
urban areas since the early 90s, vehicle demands on our urban streets are
reduced.  But until the last year I never considered bicycle accommodation
issues at intersections.

Note most of our major thoroughfares in Burlington are designated in the
City Transportation Plan as bicycle streets or streets accommodating
bicycle traffic.

For the past year have looked with "new eyes" on accommodating cycle track
in built up areas. You often here the claim that our streets are inherited
from a century or two past with constrained rights-of-way making
retro-fitting to accommodate bicycling very difficult.  One way to think of
this is the current  busy arterial street widths in a majority of cases can
accommodate the 12 feet of width (a wide parking lane) necessary for a
minimum 2-way cycle track.

What makes North Avenue somewhat unusual is the 66 foot right-of-way with
relatively low parking demand compared to North Winooski or even North
Union from North Winooski to Main Street.  Yes, feasibility on most streets
will depend on finding ways to free up parking trough a planned process to
make space available for cycle track.  The question about getting "serious"
about bicycling depends on facing up to the need to first and foremost
provide cycle track.   Some can be provided through using space adjacent to
sidewalks at the sidewalk level as well as at the street level.

So far--Montpelier and Manchester Center are examples--it appears
right-of-way are sufficient in many cases to handle traffic and cycle
track.  Costs in some cases will be substantial since green space may be
reduced and/or street reconstruction required.  Note a very important
aspect of making space available for cycle track is installation of
roundabouts because then literally miles of turn lanes (Montpelier a
perfect example) become available for cycle track use with no sacrifice (or
even improvement) in service to vehicle traffic.

The first step is to look at each corridor through a planning process to
determine the feasibility of cycle track and roundabouts at key
intersections to assure safety for all modes--that is part of the task in
the North Avenue study we are no involved with. Next stop, studies of every
major urban corridor in the City, the region and the State.  This is not
the first time a bicycle mode planning initiative has been undertaken--we
went through a similar cycle in the mid-1990s when regional and town
bicycle plans were done,  Now we just add cycle track to the ingredients to
a new transportation brew.

                     Tony