I've advanced the notion that there is competition for funding.  It's based on a
fundamental truth:

                         All money is fungible.  All money is fungible.  All money
is fungible.

Consider bank regulators' task of trying find aid monies sent to Russia in the past
few years.  Just watch CCMPO dicker over which project or that will be funded this
year -- with money "borrowed" from anticipated future funds.  It does not matter
where money comes from.  It will be spent wherever and however the spender decides
to spend it.  Ultimately, though, there is a fixed total amount of money that can
be spent.

That said, the competition need not be between between peds and bikers.  It's the
car/truck highway against everything else.  The effect of federal transportation
aid and the highway lobby has been to try and contain bike/ped spending in the
Enhancement Activities funding category as historic preservation and scenery
preservation.

The real money is in the regular highway funding categories.  I'm talking about
hundreds of millions of dollars every year in VT, not the single digit crumbs in
Enhancements.  The Enhancements category is a fictional convenience to distract us
from whole system planning and programming.

****
It is *not* at all evident that it would be feasible, viable or desirable to widen
roads and ride bikes in paved shoulders.

-Peter

--
Peter K. Duval                         +1 802 899 1132
98 Sleepy Hollow Road                   fax:  899 2430